How do I find out what my school’s policy is on sex education?
The easiest way-ask! Ask other teachers or go directly to your principal. If you don’t feel like you’re getting a straight-forward answer, look in your school board’s policy manual to see what it says. A lot of schools have a policy they want their personnel to follow, but that doesn’t always happen.
If your school teaches a curriculum that is not evidence-based (peer reviewed, medically accurate, etc…) or doesn’t teach one at all, ask:
- if you can offer after-school teaching opportunities for your students
- bring in a guest speaker who is a trained sexuality educator
- to attend a training or bring in a sexuality educator/trainer
A few of our member organizations have provided training for professionals, and have backgrounds in sexuality education. If you are interested in talking with one of them, contact:
- Health Care Education and Training at (317) 247-9008; ask for Abby Hunt
- Planned Parenthood of Indiana, Department of Education at (317) 637-4343 x1153